Friday, October 2, 2009

Picture perfect

I'm starting to get all kinds of things in the mail about my pregnancy- advertisements, magazines, coupons, etc... Also my friends are giving me info and I usually pick up all the literature at my Dr office. Why, oh WHY, are all the pregnant women portrayed in commercial pictures like this lady?? In everything I read that is related to my pregnancy, whether they are trying to sell me something, or just provide useful information, the pregnant women look nothing like me (or any of my pregnant friends for that matter).

You want to know where this picture is from? A friend at work had to visit her lady Dr yesterday and picked up some literature for me on "A Simple Guide to Understanding Glucose Testing" and this was the picture included in the pamphlet. We won't even get into the not so subtle implications of receiving something like this from a co-worker. Good thing she is a friend of mine and not a skinny mini herself, or we would have taken it outside this AM.

This picture makes me MAD. Bitch looks better than I did pre-preggers. She is probably a size 2 even with her little poochie of a tummy, and she is wearing a WHITE HALTER TOP WITH NO BRA , delicately nibbling fruit while she stares lovingly at her bountiful plate of nutrition. I hate her and the ViaCord Company that created the "helpful" handout.

The top alone with no bra is so unrealistic - my boobs hurt so bad I've considered duct taping a permanent bra on myself for the amount of support I need. And I don't need to tell any pregnant woman that wearing a fitted white shirt without a bra is impossible unless you want the world to see your now nearly black and saucer sized nips. (yeah, they change colors & sizes, who knew??) It's not sexy. I understand that in general the media and fashion industry have unrealistic expectations for non-pregnant women...and I'm not really all that up in arms with that issue. However, this is a medical pamphlet from a Dr. office for pregnant women - WTF?? I haven't seen one person in the waiting room at my Dr. office that looks anything remotely close to this woman. I already feel bad enough about myself, and I think I'm doing about average in regards to weight gain (touch wood) - to me this picture is just another piece of propaganda in what I consider to be one of the most undiscussed but blatantly obvious conspiracy's of all time: to hide the real stories, the real pictures, the real emotions of pregnancy.

So of course I was compelled to take a quick picture of myself and what I've been eating all day. That's candy corn in case you can't read the label. Notice the deathlike grip on the nearly empty package. I don't know why my co-worker would worry about gestational diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment