Thursday, October 22, 2009

Home is where the help is

I recently got back to Philadelphia after spending almost a week at home visiting my family. One thing that has amazed me as I'm getting more accustomed to the idea of being pregnant is how homesick I have become. While I've always missed my family, and talked about moving home, I've never necessarily felt homesick. I feel sorry for my husband because my feelings about our too small, too old, too fixer upper house have changed drastically from "we can make it work" to me crying when I walk in the front door on some days. I was in desperate need of some mommy TLC and I got it in the form of homemade ice tea, sleeping all day, shopping and my favorite green bean casserole.

Some other highlights of my trip:

-Reconnecting with an old friend Mandy that I haven't seen or spoken to in 13 years...we picked up right where we left off and laughed for hours. I've come to realize that the people you can laugh with for hours (especially without alcohol) are few and far between, I'm glad to have Mandy back in my life!

-Eating at Chuys with my little bro and his super cute gal pal Jessica - how did I live in Houston until I was 18 and not know about this place?! Or am I so old that this "Houston tradition" didn't open until I had left?

-A surprise dinner from all my aunts and cousins! Lots of super cute baby presents and even better was the chance to visit with my family, whom I don't see often enough. My family is hilarious, here are some funny excepts... Aunt Cathy making fun of new moms that justify putting their babies on the floor as "tummy time" and reminding us that the vintage version of the boppy is ARMS...Uncle Jim, the expert on diaper rash, recommending butt paste as a registry must have...Aunt Geraldine reminding my mom that she will need to learn the art of smiling and saying nothing (ha ha, good luck!) - as a side note my mom said "whatever floats your boat" to me the other day and I about DIED - we agreed that what she meant was "whatever floats your boat, but I will create enough waves to push said boat in the direction of my choice..." LOVE YOU MOM...My cousin in-law (?) Dee Dee and her daughter Molly recommending a video baby monitor and us all joking about the range of the monitor (I'll be at the bar)...My Aunt Carol, Aunt Susan and Aunt Cecilia telling me I looked LITTLE, you made my decade, as no one has ever referred to me as little! For once in my life, I'm below average size! My cousin Sarah laughing with me at the fact that I have no idea what I'm going to do when this baby gets here and gently reminding that she herself was a ballerina so I should shut my fat mouth about not wanting a ballerina princess type daughter, cousin Jennifer giving me swaddle blankets and me saying "oh such pretty burb cloths..." and cousin Jill knowing me too well and recommending that booze is the one thing I won't be able to live without when baby gets here...

Which reminds me, I thought of an idea while I was home that I was certain would make me millions, I was all prepared to start my own business during my three month "vacation" starting in January - I mean, I won't be that busy, right?! I was so confident in my genius idea that I had my retirement plans already made. Regrettably, someone has beaten me to the punch:
http://www.milkscreen-moms.com/

Thanks again to everyone for making my trip home perfect. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment