Monday, August 31, 2009

Body Rockin

Ah, the weekend. What used to be the most anticipated days of the week are now the longest two days of my life. There is only so much TV one can watch - and this is coming from a self proclaimed TV junkie, only so much I want to read, and only so much sewing I can do in my basement sweat shop. That leaves shopping, eating, sleeping, and excercise as viable options of entertainment. Given my shopping experience last weekend (see "i like candy" post), I'm sure it's no suprise to those that know me that this weekend I chose eating and sleeping.

I chose LOTS of sleeping and even more eating. Thus far in the pregnancy I have been able to control myself for the most part in regards to the food consumption. However, after my Dr. appt on Friday I needed to stop at Target to buy the biggest plastic storage bin they sell - this is to put away all of my pre pregnancy clothes that are now taunting me in my closet and causing major meltdowns almost every AM while I try to find something to wear. Instead of going straight to the storage section, I take a detour through the food aisles, nothing is especially appealing until I get to those final two aisles - the "all things chocolate" aisle and the pure sugar candy aisle. Needless to say, I check out and pay $35 - my storage bin was $14, I'll let you do the math on how much I spent on candy.

The highlight of this weekend was shoving the contents of my entire closet into the plastic bin, it wasn't just depressing for the clothes that don't currently fit, it was a whole new level of depressing to find hidden clothes that didn't fit me before I got with child. Just when I think I've exhausted all my energy at the pity party, I find my stash of "big clothes" that I kept after losing some weight a few years ago. Thinking I"ll make myself feel better by knowing that at least I still fit into these clothes - I take off my sweatpants and pull on a pair of size 4 (like I"d really tell you the real size) pants that 6 months ago would have fallen to my ankles - they won't button. Back to the couch, more candy.

Now, I know I'm supposed to gain weight with pregnancy, I'm not an idiot. But as someone that has always struggled with body image issues, not just from weight, but from height - adding extra surface area to this already quite big canvas is a bit upsetting, despite any logical reasoning. I spent my weekend working my way through my candy purchases - for those of you concerned about the health risks in doing this - don't worry I drank plenty of water. On Sunday evening, as I'm talking to my husband in the kitchen, I notice something stuck all over my pants, on the front, sides, ass...it was pop rocks. I had pop rocks stuck to my butt.

In an attempt to avoid becoming the poster girl for gestational diabetes, I guess I should find a new craving. So long candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment