Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Rock-a-bye Baby

So I've got the rocking chair down, I've got the bouncy walk down, I can change a diaper, I'm still boob feeding, I've even got used to sleeping 2-3 hours at a time. One thing I can't quite get right is the singing of lullabyes to baby Mila. I know that she responds to my voice when she is upset, and its not for my lack of trying - it's just that I usually don't sing out loud... not to myself in the car, not in the shower...in fact I think the last time I really sang out loud to someone else was probably in 5th grade choir. Also, because I've never been a real girly type girl, I have quickly come to realize I don't know many nursury rhymes or lullabyes to begin with.

Mila was just throwing a tantrum 10 minutes ago; I picked her up and started bouncy walking and talking to her. Then I started singing, it went something like this, (ahem...):

"Hush little baby don't say a word,
Mommas gonna buy you a mockingbird.
And if that mockingbird don't sing
Mommas gonna buy you a diamond ring.
And if that diamond ring don't shine,
Mommas gonna buy you....something that rhymes with shine."

Luckily she quit crying, so I just sang those same lines over and over again while trying quickly to think of something else to sing...you know what came to my mind? You'll never guess, so I'll just tell you the next song I crooned to Mila:

"This land is your land, this land is my land
From California, to the New York Island
From the Redwood Forest, to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me."

Wondering why in the world that was that was the song that popped into my head, I realized that it was from fifth grade choir! Mila then received a modified version of the entire recital, which was a patriot themed performance, including hits such as "Way Down Yonder in New Orleans," "Oklahoma," "Proud to be an American," "Big D", and many more!

I found this rather amusing, I was cracking myself up - so I thought I'd share the story with you. Luckily Mila found it soothing and is now sleeping next to me....or either she is faking just so I would shut up. Everytime I look at her I swear I can see one little eye quickly closing, and her little snore does sound like "conk shoo." Regardless, she isn't crying anymore.

2 comments:

  1. You can always sing her tunes from Annie. We love you, Miss Hannigan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sang that same version of "hush little baby" to Ben! I've resorted to singing along with the radio to him.

    Also, my sister-in-law admits that she sang a song called "Shut up, baby" to a familiar nursery rhyme tune - she didn't know the words, her daugher didn't know the difference, and it made the baby stop crying!

    ReplyDelete