Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Register This.

Last week I went to Rite Aid to fill my prescription on my pre natal vitamins. First, I never knew that you needed a prescription for vitamins. Second, my CO-PAY on my pre natal vitamins is $40. FORTY DOLLARS for the co-pay...for vitamins. Last time I was at my Dr. I asked her to write me a script for a generic vitamin, which I could fill at Walmart for $4. Truth, I don't even take the vitamin everyday - I'm not too good at remembering to take pills (obviously); however, I can't make myself buy the generic version. I feel as if surely there is some reason that accounts for that $36 difference and well, I'd be a pretty big ass if I sacrificed the health of my child for $36 (times 9 months, that's $324 - but who's counting)...PAIN AT THE REGISTER

Two weekends ago Chris and I ventured out to the dreaded Babies R Us to create the list of things that we would like to have for the baby. After signing up with the lady at the customer service counter, being given the "gun" and some simple instructions, we were let loose in the great unknown. Where to start? What to get? How much to get? I will spare you the details, but the highlight reel includes me sitting on the floor in the stroller section near tears and unable to get the thing back in the thing that goes on the thing...THE PAIN OF REGISTERING.

I've heard rumors that the health insurance at my company will be changing starting on Feb. 1st 2010. My due date is the very end of January. The new plan will be substantially worse than my current coverage; we're talking thousands of dollars for the hospital bill different. My Dr. has already told me that she won't induce. THE IMPORTANCE OF THE HEALTH CARE DEBATE IS BEGINNING TO REGISTER...

So clearly I've noticed a theme of whether it is the CHA-CHING of the cash register, the laser lights of the registry gun, or the A-HA moments registering in my now half dead brain....I bet this is just the beginning of "REGISTER" pains, isn't it? Daily it's beginning to register that I will probably spend the rest of my life cursing the register.

So...to get back at Rite Aid for their flamboyant prescription costs (hey, I've gotta blame someone, might as well start with them) I decided to take matters into my own hands to get some restitution in this register madness. Some of you may be familiar with Rite Aids rebate program and you may also know that while I like to clip coupons, I rarely ever take the time to plan out my shopping to optimize my cost savings. Well, take the time I did - a few days ago I purchased $34 dollars worth of essentials, armed with my coupons I got the bill down to $14 (Oh yes I did), on top of that I can expect a $5 rebate check in the mail. The lady stared at my incredulously. I told her to suck on it. REGISTER THAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment