Friday, July 9, 2010

Shark happens

Suprisingsly, on our first date night in months my husband tells me I'm a good writer and he enjoyed this blog during my pregnancy. I didn't even know he read it. Then he revealed that some of the stuff I said about him made him uncomfortable, but it was all true, so he never said anything about it. Readers may not know that Chris was a stand up comic for many years. So if you have previously read this blog and thought that perhaps I was too harsh on him, or maybe I was airing too much dirtly laundry, please keep in mind that I have sat in a room full of 100+ people, while he tells a joke that is wildly inappropriate about me (or us) and had everyone turn and look and laugh at me. And usually I would laugh along too - one thing Chris and I have in common is an appreciation for what is funny, regardless of the appropriateness of the joke. Needless to say I've given little thought to him being uncomfortable with strangers reading about my valid frustruations with him...if he can dish it out, he should be able to take it!

After the nice compliments about my writing style, humor and content, he let loose a "but..."
As soon as I heard the "but" I prepared myself to get angry, and that's when Chris nicely informed me that my blog had jumped the shark. For those of you not familiar with that term, please refer here. Of course, my initial gut reaction is to fire back, "I'd say your career jumped the shark," but I held my razor tongue and listened to his rationale.

I've let it marinate for a bit, and I must say I agree with him. This blog was created out of the pure hatred of pregnancy. Now I have a beautiful, wonderful, healthy baby girl - and while I have shared some rantings about the frustrations that accompany being a parent, the writing does stray from its original intent. I don't need a blog to write about the nuances of everyday family life. Plus, actually having the baby here is pretty cool, its the whole pregnant part that sucks.


Do not fear! I would like to keep this blog alive, with a return to its original programming -but I will need your help. I will be asking my friends/family - and maybe random preggers I see on the street (b/c they will love it, maybe I'll touch their bellies while I'm at it) to let me interveiw them about their worst pregnancy stories. I'll try to write about it in a way that will make you chuckle.

Any volunteers? If need be, we can keep the story anonymous - I get that some of you may not be as free as I am in sharing boob stories.

1 comment:

  1. Great Idea. I wish being a mommy was in my near future. I'd certainly volunter to be interviewed. However I don't even currently have any good dating prospects so motherhood is still miles away for me. So glad your keeping the blog. It inspired me to write and create my own.

    ReplyDelete