Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Every Kiss Begins with Kay

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/Happy New Year!!!

Our holidays were ok, not as eventful as usual, but rather just another week in the count down for miss muffin to get here. Spending time with Chris's family was great, but I missed everyone in TX terribly and spent a considerable amount of time feeling sorry for myself that I couldn't have a drink.

Of all the things I remember most about this holiday season, it was the amount of emotion the jewelry commercials stirred up in me. Ok, so quick poll. How many of you have ever had a moment like those portrayed in holiday jewelry commercials? Do these infuriate anyone else?

The reality is that we're all running around like chickens with our heads cut off, working full time, trying to guess what presents our loved ones may actually use this year - while maintaining a budget. Getting the house ready for visitors, putting up the gratuitous tree, then unsuccessfully trying to make sure our dogs don't pee on it. Distributing holiday cards to all the appropriate people at work, but having to ensure that what we wrote was sincere, yet generic - both heartfelt and anonymous - these things take effort people!!!

I am not out ice skating on a random pond in the middle of the woods to "I Got You Babe," and getting wobbly knees when my man pulls out necklace. Given my hormonal state, I nearly broke our television everytime I saw this commercial this past holiday season.

I have written my own commercial for next holiday season:

opening scene: Christmas Eve. Digital bedside clock reads 3:24AM... cut to pregnant woman crying uncontrollably while sitting on the toilet, peeing for the 6th time in the past two hours, softly banging her head against the nearby wall, begging/praying to any deity that will listen for the ability to sleep. After washing her hands she looks in the mirror and catches a glimpse of the dirty bathub behind her. She softly curses her husband for not finishing the never ending list of chores she has given him.

scene two: Christmas Morning. Husband sneaks up behind wife while she is pouring milk in her bowl of Fruit Loops, and places small box on kitchen counter. Looking proud of himself as she eyes the box warily and opens it to find a bracelet.

scene three: Husband is in line with hundreds of other husbands returning jewelry.

Closing scene: Husband is on knees with christmas bow on his head scrubbing the bathtub. The camera focuses in on a bottle of (insert your favorite cleaning product here)....with a slogan something like "wives come clean about their real holiday fantasies..."

Sounds like a winner to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment